Friday, January 14, 2011

What and Why of Periodization.

Periodization on Wiki


Managing Training Volume:
A system of overloading and recovery.  Basically overloading the bodies systems, and then letting them recover and then overloading again.  For most triathletes this is done on a 3 week build 1 week recovery.  So for 3 weeks we gradually increase your training volume(time).  Then for 1 week we reduce your volume and let the body recover. 

The next week we start building again with at a slightly higher volume then before.  This has been shown to significantly increase performance over the long term as compared to not periodizing(Not sure if this is a word... But it should be if it isn't).  

“A” races are typically placed on the yearly plan first and the training plan is built around them.  This is why it is important to know your races as soon as possible for the year.  Typically before an "A" race your volume will decrease while intensity increases.  Allowing your body to rest and give you your best chance of performing to your potential on race day. 

It is important that as your coach I know how much time you actually completed during the week so I can adjust your plan accordingly.  I am an active coach and check your training logs frequently. 

I may also switch to a 2 week overload 1 week recovery for the 12 hour shift every third weekend people.  I suspect we will get better results doing this then trying to get 13-20 hours of training in a week where one works 2-3 12 hour shifts in a row. 

Thoughts on any and all of this? 

Coach JG  

Bond, Greg Bond

1 comment:

  1. that will work for me, as I'm one of those 12's ppl. This make more sense after reading this then in the e-mail you sent me earlier. Would you be willing to adjust a little too, for when we flip to nights too? as those days are somewhat shot for me, specially when I flip back and forth on occasion. Ill send you my next round of schedules soon as I get them too. thanks coach JG!!!
    ~Rach

    ReplyDelete